Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Talk wheel discussion 3

Through out my life I have had numerous people impact my life. They shaped me into the person I am today. I do not think I could talk about who I am as a leader without mentioning what they have done for me. Most of it started when I was in high school. Like I have said before I was pretty involved in high school. I got involved in leadership right away as a freshman. Being a freshman in leadership was a little difficult because sometimes I felt like my opinions did not matter to the upperclassmen. That experience taught me to listen to those above me and just because you are young does not mean that you do not matter. And then in 2009 my  then pastor had asked me to join the worship team (which composed of him singing and his wife playing the piano). I was very reluctant but I eventually said yes. I did not think of myself to be in a 'leadership' role but looking back now I think it was. I lead them into worship. I felt incompetent because I did not feel like I was holy enough. But the Lord definitely used that time to shape my opinion of myself and I grew deeper into my faith at that time. In 2010 I became a mentor to a few middle school students. I just hung out with them after school a little bit and tutored them. We had fun but we also got stuff done. I provided a safe place for them to go after school where they could not get into trouble. In 2011 (my senior year) I was a cadet teacher in a seventh grade math class. That definitely shaped me as a leader. That brought out my teacher side and made me learn how to be more authoritative with people.

I know that I have not really talked about the people who have influenced me, I'm getting there. I thought that I should go in chronological order. The year that really shaped, stretched and grew me was my first year at North Central. I have never in my life had so many people pour into me and really speak life into me. It all started with my RA. She took me under her wing from the moment I got to North Central. We grew really close and she showed me a different side to leadership. She was my friend but also my mentor. I could go to her with anything and I knew she was there without judgement and was always there to pray for me. Then I met another girl on my floor, Kristin, who has probably had the biggest impact on my life. She has really shown me what it is like to be a woman of God and she exemplifies that in every way. She has been nothing but caring and supportive to me. She is always just a phone call away no matter how many miles may be between us. She is the one who really helped me decide to be a DL. I am so glad to have these people in my life. I know that are many more but I do not want to ramble for too much longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment